shABBY

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Looking back to the past , Cadillac Kings Band and dancing

Last week my 14 year old; Katie went to her first homecoming dance at Neville. I watched all the getting ready and took as many pictures as I could and sent her out on her way.


I started looking over my old photos of my proms and homecoming and put the pics up on my facebook. I was amazed at how much we look alike! We always have had the same look, but in the prom pics it is so 'there'.

luckily I have a very secure husband and my old high school boyfriends wife is a good sport. Because being from Monroe of course once I put the picture up, I got remarks. Which brings me to write a little about my high school friend. Moving back to Monroe, after living in Las Vegas and New York State has been great, I do love Monroe. I realized I had so much in common with a lot of who I graduated with from Neville, several of us had kids late! So us-- old moms and dads now are all dropping our kids off at Lee and Neville.

Gerald and I started going to the Holidome and hearing the Cadillac Kings. Frank Fergurson and his band of musicians, including Pete Bailey and Walt Silmon are back to playing frequently at local places. The band is good and easy to dance too, it has a dance club following . I wish we were of that ability but my husband of 21 years and I just dance for fun. The band members all have a wonderful time playing the old rock n' roll and get the crowd dancing.

Long story short, if you miss the 70's and 80's and want a place to go, they are playing at the Holidome off and on in a smoke free environment . They will be back October 24th again and I am sure if you look around the room you will see the graduates of the 70's out among the tables.

If I shut my eyes and dream , I can see my daughter Katie now in her beautiful blue dress at homecoming dancing and think of how much fun it was to put on the white and red dress for my dance . Of course she did tell me about the "yuk" floor of the Neville cafeteria and I now remember that too! Oh well my memories are of course very sugarcoated!

Ramblings of a mom of a 14 year old, trying to be in the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment